Under the corporate umbrella of the University of Maryland Medical System, served as both Site Executive of Medical Center and Director of the only free standing post acute long term & rehabilitation care facility within the network. Also served as a member of executive team in integrating strategic priorities across the healthcare system focusing on population health, ambulatory care, clinical integration, culture of excellence, physician alignment, cost structure, efficiency and philanthropy. Successfully integrated and consolidated a wide range of healthcare processes for cost effectiveness and efficiency, including purchasing, human resources, information technology, financial systems and clinical dashboard to align with creation of larger regional healthcare system (Shore Regional Health). Five Star rated Center (highest level offered by the Centers of Medicare /Medicaid Services/CMS). Last State Survey/inspection under my direction resulted in a zero deficiency outcome . Worked with hospital partners to successfully reduce readmissions and achieve better patient/resident outcomes; built and maintained partnerships with various managed care organizations resulting in improved payer mix and census development. Adroit at positioning organization to adapt to changing reimbursement and regulatory landscape. Worked on developing specialty care unit to enhance census development and operating margins at Center.
Division included The Gladys Spellman Specialty Hospital ; Bowie Health Center/Dimensions Surgery Center ; Mullikin Medical Office Building; Senior Health Center and Affiliated Enterprises
Drove successful operations toward attaining optimal profitability across the health care system.
-Successful in attaining annual net profits of $2-3 million over a period of 10 years — turning around the Center from significant losses ( The Gladys Spellman Specialty Hospital )
– Initiated and oversaw successful marketing and public relations strategies and campaigns which increased center visits by 25% over four years as well as improved profitability ( The Bowie Health Center )
— Managed the transition from inhouse to outsourced patient billing and collection processes resulting in improved collections by 25-30 % over a three year period ( Bowie Health Center/Dimensions Surgery Center )
– Transitioned to an outside property management firm resulting in improved plant and facility maintenance efficiencies , quality and safety assurance ( Mullikin Medical Office Building)
– Served as corporate liaison in the management of health system’s joint venture and real estate holdings . Real Estate and Joint venture activities met/exceeded corporate goals/objectives over a 6 year period
Served as Vice President/COO and partner of DHS of Maryland Inc, a subsidiary of ServiceMaster/Diversified Health Services — a leader in providing post acute health care services . In this role , was instrumental in privatizing and serving as CEO for the first Veterans Long Term Care Facility in the country under a private /public partnership ( Charlotte Hall Veterans Center )
— Drove successful business operations and sustainable operating profit margins over a ( 10) year period while providing ongoing leadership for a (378) bed multilevel post acute campus of care ( Charlotte Hall Veterans Center )
Recurited specifically to assist in the development of a healthcare consultancy arm of a larger consulting organization based in the Mid West. Worked as a consultant and project director on a variety of healthcare related projects for both acute care hospital clients, post acute healthcare organizations and privately held corporations focusing on strengthening their internal business operations, financial performance , marketing and public relations management , strategic planning and corporate restructuring activities.
- George Washington University- Graduate School of Health Care Administration Adjunct Professor
- Georgetown University– Undergraduate School in Health Care Sciences/Administration Adjunct Professor
- Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives — FACHE (active )
- Licensed as a Long Term Care Administrator- State of Maryland (active)
- State of Maryland – Life/Health Producer’s Licensure (active)
- Commonweatlh of Virginia – Life/Health Producer’s Licensure, non resident (active)